Process & Projects
I don’t do cookie-cutter, and I don’t work in a silo. Everything I do is customized for my clients’ needs and determined through a collaborative process.
We start with an in-depth conversation and some important questions to consider. I ask about the project’s goals, audience, and timeline, among many other things I need to know before I get started.
While projects vary, this general process remains consistent:
- I ask you about your needs and goals, and I listen carefully to the answers.
- I review relevant materials and make sure I understand the content that already exists.
- I learn the concepts and terminology, and I get a sense of the language your end users relate to.
- When appropriate, I speak with members of your team and other crucial stakeholders.
- I share ideas, recommendations, and concerns that arise for me at the beginning of the project.
- I collaborate with you and relevant team members to design a prototype plan for my work and get your feedback before continuing.
- I maintain close communication with you throughout the project, working together to ensure it’s just what you’re looking for.
- I maintain confidentiality and am happy to sign nondisclosure agreements.
- I diligently meet deadlines (unless the project scope changes).
Much of my work is proprietary, and I'm not allowed to share it publicly. If you're my client, I'll agree to the same confidentiality for you. Some of my other work is available from the publishers by payment or registration. Please contact me for samples or to discuss my process.
Here are a few things I've done:
- Detailed implementation guidelines for War Child's Can’t Wait to Learn — see some screenshots here. I consolidated information from diverse internal sources into streamlined guidelines for new implementing partners. A big part of this project involved interviewing people and writing their stories. These guidelines will help War Child scale up this technology-based education programme for children affected by conflict.
- External communications support for GoBee, a new gamified assessment tool for the Education in Emergencies sector (initiated by Porticus and a collaboration of War Child Holland, NYU Global TIES for Children, and UNHCR’s Humanitarian Education Accelerator).
- Facilitator training manual and PowerPoints for the Accelerated Education Working Group of the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) (project funded by the Norwegian Refugee Council) — download the facilitation guides and PowerPoints here.
- Facilitator guide and e-learning modules for Rijksuniversiteit Groningen (University of Groningen, Netherlands). I collaborated on a team of three to create training materials for the Faculty of Science and Engineering student mentor programme.
- Case study for UNESCO's 2019 Global Education Monitoring Report (Arab States), compiling information provided by UNICEF Sudan and War Child.
- Corporate leadership development four-day course: I developed a complete curriculum for four full-day leadership development and teambuilding classes, including instructor notes, detailed step-by-step facilitator guide, and participant materials.
- Workplace stress reduction programme: I was the lead curriculum developer for an eight-week instructor-led programme for school district employees in the United States, including public school teachers.
- E-learning storyboards for pharmaceutical manufacturing training. I collaborated closely with subject matter experts to learn the technical details.
- E-learning storyboards for sales training, onboarding, and continued professional development. These training modules typically included stories and scenarios to motivate and engage the learner.
- Edited academic research reports for Can't Wait to Learn (War Child NGO).
- Edited a book about Kubernetes implementation in an Agile software development setting.
- Edited articles about Agile software development (such as this one).
- Edited web copy for a software company.
Please contact me to discuss your upcoming needs.
I look forward to helping your team with upcoming English-language editing, writing, and learning design projects!